Sunday, January 11, 2015

Brewing the Buch! (How to make Kombucha)

Make your own Kombucha!!! 

It's really easy and fast once you get the hang of it! 

OPTIONS:
1) Find a friend with a scoby (the mother mushroom) and after each batch of brewing the mushroom duplicates and you can divide it. 

Ask people at your local health food store. That's where I got my first shroom.

2) Buy a starter kit from your health food store. It's about $10-$15. 

3) Order from Williams and Sonoma, they have the whole starter kit and just the scoby

I personally like the third option because you know that the glassware is safe when you buy the whole kit. Since you don't want any lead oxidization to take place during fermentation. 


Anyone interested in my shroom. Email me and I will ship to you! :) 


INGREDIENTS:

1 GALLON OF WATER
1 CUP OF SUGAR
4 TEA BAGS
1 CUP OF SCOBY/MUSHROOM/CULTURE

INSTRUCTIONS:

I boil about 1/3 gallon enough to melt the sugar and to allow the tea to steep. Add both the 1 cup of sugar and tea bags to the boiling water. I use a stainless steel mixer bowl for this step. Stir until the sugar melts and more water if needed. Wait 20 minutes although 10 is probably enough to maximize the flavor of the tea. 

Once cooled, remove the tea bags and use metal or plastic utensils avoiding wood.  Then add the remaining water and the starter kit (the mushroom and some of the fermented tea) to a clean* kitchen glass safe gallon jar. 

http://www.amazon.com/ATTRACTION-DAILY-LIFE-SUCCESS-PLANNER/dp/B013ZRM5VQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Retractable-Erasable-Assorted-31472/dp/B009QYH644/ref=pd_sim_229_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Xft%2B0dXhL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1FV11KC36TGB959WGDZG

Too high temperatures are bad for the mushroom killing good bacteria.

Some people do up to 10-12 tea bags/1 ounce of tea leaves. I find that four is enough flavor. 

*Should be washed throughly preferably in a dishwasher. Then just to be sure. I pour boiling water all over the utensils. I add a small amount of boiling water to the glass jar and swivel it so the temperature and pressure does not escalate allowing the glass to adjust. Then I repeat those steps with white vinegar. And ALWAYS wipe with a fresh towel. 

Cover the glass container with a clean cloth thin enough to allow some ventilation (old t-shirt,cheese cloth,etc.)and brew anywhere from 7-30 days. The longer it brews the more strong and less sweet it becomes. 

Store in a dry place. Warm temperatures are the best, 70ish-80ish works. 80-85 is ideal and a faster process. 

After you have already made a batch to continue the process just pour out the kombucha into more gl. Be sure to leave about a cup or more of the original batch of the kombucha and mushroom and then add more sugar, water, and tea bags and repeat the process! 

Then add fruit to bottles/containers and let it sit over night it will take on the fruity flavor! 





 My favorite flavor is strawberry lemon. I add a full lemon to the batch and some lemon rind. 



This batch is strawberry lemon. However, mixed berry and it tastes like the lemon berry slush from sonic. 




My sad attempt at a lemon twist. 




Lemon Ginger is my next attempt!



The main health benefit is the probiotics and the mushroom 'eats' all the sugar so I deemed it safe when detoxing or avoiding sugar.
https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Essence-Candex-Veggie-Caps/dp/B0011865O0/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467832246&sr=8-1&keywords=candex+120+capsules
P.S. I obviously didn't know how to spell Kom-BUCH-A. Or was it that I was too lazy to erase a few letters? You'll never know ;) 

Happy Brewing! 

All my love, health and happy blessings to you in the TWO-OH-ONE-FIVE! 

Dom



http://www.freepeople.com/mind-and-matter-over-the-knee-boot/_/searchString/tall%20boots/QUERYID/54ebf1e28570a33244000179/CMCATEGORYID/683d4023-53f5-4900-b5ce-ecf465df31a9/SEARCHPOSITION/0/STYLEID/32886533/

No comments:

Post a Comment