Monday, August 25, 2014

Makeup for Mermaids (Waterproofing Your Makeup Tutorial)


If you want to look cute and fresh like Ariel when you pop ashore ready to sing to your unconscious human Prince Eric a creepy tune, keep reading! If you like looking smeared and scary like Ursula, that's totally cool too. Sometimes we all just want to the rock the hot mess. No judgement. Been there before! (Seriously.) 

I know that summer is coming to an end, but for some the hot sticky sweaty days are still ahead.  For those who will be spending their Labor Day Weekend near/on/in water, you will benefit from this post.(Unless you don't wear makeup then you really won't need this post.)

Now, I must have been a fish in a previous life because I spend some serious time under the water. 


Just look at that super attractive photo ;) 

As you can see I have a decent amount of eye make up on! It faded a bit but was still there when I made it home (six hours later). 


STARTING WITH THE EYES

My favorite eyeshadow to get wet is MAC's 'Mineralize' Eyeshadow Duo. However any powder eyeshadow will work. I've tried numerous kinds and it doesn't ruin them! 

First you get your eye makeup brush wet with water and then apply as you normally would. Just dipping the tips of the brush in some water should be sufficient. If the shadow is too thin, tap the brush to dry and keep adding the shadow. 

Boom. Set. All waterproofed and ready!

I really like MAC's Fluidline for eyeliner. I use the pot and brush, but I think the pencil is easier, especially when it comes to winging your liner! You can actually use the fulidline for a smokey eye primer. It's a good investment for your makeup bag.

For mascara my favorite since 2009 has to be Clinic's High Impact Curling Mascara. I like this because it doesn't smear, just flakes off when you gently rub your eyes with water, oil, or makeup remover. It has been my go to for every single event, it is tear proof and water proof! 

   

  Photo: Sephora 

   

Photo: Nordstrom

Photo: Nordstrom 

      
                               

FOR THE BASE 

For my foundation I use ZUZU Luxe's Dual Powder Foundation. It is my favorite coverage waterproof or not. What I do is just use a flat foundation brush and get it wet like the eyeshadow and apply. It's a bit trickier than eyeshadow because too much can make you too dark. But just play with it, and you'll get it in no time. 

For non watery events, I use the ZuZu liquid foundation and then powder for a beautiful fresh faced but great coverage.

Zuzu is Vegan and Gluten free and can be found at Vitamin Cottages and all the Whole Foods I have been at. 

For blush/bronzer/highlighter I would recommend a cream base, like RMS's lip2cheek! I have DEMURE but the one shown is SMILE.  RMS, is an all Organic Ingredient Makeup! They are pretty water resistant. However, everyone's skin has a different texture. So just keep that in mind if these products don't work for you! 


I have never tried to get MAC 'Mineralize' Blush and Bronzers wet, but I bet they work great like the eye shadows!


I also like Origins' Pinch Your Cheeks for my cheekies (on my face of course, don't be weird). I love the CoralBerry hue. And it gives you a perfect cute very natural sun kissed look. 

I have also tried just using regular powdered blush and bronzer, you just apply it with a wet make up brush.

 

 Photo: RMS

Photo: Origins



      Photo: Amazon 




LASTLY LIPS 

I use Chanel Rogue Allure, Enthusiast #74 (Which I had since 2008 and don't even know if they still make it). A little goes a long way and lasts for days! Seriously! One time I fell asleep with it on and my hand was under my lips. I woke up with a kissy mark, and it took some serious scrubbing to get it off of my hand.

Or I use Origin's pinch your cheeks, or just chap stick.   




   

Photo: Nordstrom


  

Photo Credit

   

Photo: Nordstrom


                                


I know that all of this makeup is pricey! But I have started collecting pieces over the years, and they have lasted for many years, except the powder. It lasted a year. (Is that maybe gross or unhealthy?!).  

If you have any questions please feel free to comment/email us! 
 

Have fun! Have a wonderful rest of summer! 

Kisses,

Dominique 


No comments:

Post a Comment